Happy New Year! Can you believe it’s already 2019? This is the time of year where most of us make
New Year’s resolutions and we promise to make changes. We create new vision for ourselves regarding
our personal life, and careers. Often we set new goals we are willing and excited to meet.
Unfortunately, the majority of people do not successfully achieve their New Year’s resolution. Why? Most times people struggle with the commitment of the statement. I truly believe, the greatest reason is
they don’t take the necessary time to reflect over the past year. How many of you in 2018 experienced
a loss of employment, a death of a loved one, divorce, financial difficulties, foreclosure, a miscarriage, a
defiant child(s), relationship problems, health issues, job relocation, suffering from anxiety or
depression, and the high demands in life. The list could go on and on, but you get the gist of where I’m
going? Our lives are still affected, and more than likely out of balance from the negative stressors that
took place in 2018.
Nonetheless, as women we are natural nurturers. We put everyone and everything else first while
putting ourselves on the backburner. Our children come first, our careers come first, our spouses or
significant other come first; most times without giving it a second thought! Ladies, let’s do better
with our self-care and self-love.
I’m sure you have all heard of several types of Detox Cleanses. When a person detoxes their body they
do so with the intention to rid themselves of toxins. I have news for you… whatever you encountered in
2018 that was negative…. left behind mental toxins. These toxins have affected your beliefs, emotions,
decisions, and your feelings. We tend to bury or suppress things/trauma hoping they will just go away.
I’m here to tell you, feelings buried alive never die! Ladies, it’s time for a Mental Detox!
The following are steps you can take to start a mental detox:
1. Forgive- Are there people you haven’t forgiven? Let go of the bitterness and offense.
2. Re-evaluate your relationships- Not everyone that was in your tribe in 2018 can come along in
3. Pinpoint Distractions - Whatever is not aligned with your goals, vision, and standards can
possibly be a distraction in your life.
4. Confront Insecurities - How do you feel about yourself and why?
5. Identify Unhealed Areas - Hurting people hurt people. Seek Counseling or a Life Coach.
6. Face Your Fears- The acronym is False Evidence Appearing Real (FEAR). What story are you
telling yourself about your fears?
7. Take a Social Media Break - It can be a way you look for validation, for you to compare yourself and
situation to others, and it takes up time you can’t get back.
8. Journal- Journaling helps to process your emotions, gain insight, and clear your head. You can
also reflect back on your achievements and accomplishments.
Ladies, let’s enter into 2019 renewed and refreshed, leaving behind the mental toxins of 2018.
Remember, to put YOU first as a way to show self-love. You can’t give what you don’t have. Your external demeanor and countenance is a definite reflection of your internal being. So, whenever it’s necessary partake in a Mental Detox… your life depends on it. It may not be easy, but it’s necessary!
Katrice Cohen is a Certified Empowerment Life Coach. She is passionate about making a difference in the lives of others. You can find out more about and connect with her via her Website: www.katricecohen.com Email: firstname.lastname@example.org IG: @lifecoachkatrice